Que Sarah, Sarah

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Why I Love...HOUSE OF LEAVES

Stuff To Blow Your Mindhole

I'm reading this crazy, weird, confusing, suspenseful, deep, many-layered book called "House of Leaves" that is full of amazing insights and quotes and "Deep Thoughts" worthy of Jack Handey.

Here are just a few to stick in your pipe and smoke...


Maturity, one discovers, has everything to do with the acceptance of "not knowing." Of course not knowing hardly prevents the approaching chaos.


Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.


The labours of men of genius, however erroneously directed, scarcely ever fail in ultimately turning to the solid advantage of mankind. - Mary Shelley


Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.


Chi dara fine al gran dolore?
L'ore.
(Who will put an end to this great sadness? The hours passing.)


Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes. The violence comes from a combination of giving up, not caring, and a resignation that getting past it is all you can hope to accomplish. So you kill the hour. You do not work, you do not read, you do not daydream. If you sleep it is not because you need to sleep. And when it at last is over, there is no evidence: no weapon, no blood, and no body. The only clue might be the shadows beneath your eyes or a terribly thin line near the corner of your mouth indicating something has been suffered, that in the privacy of your life you have lost something and the loss is too empty to share.


The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing. - Blaise Pascal


As I dig for wild orchids
in the autumn fields,
it is the deeply-bedded root
that I desire,
not the flower - Izumi Shikibu

I took my morning walk, I took my evening walk, I ate something, I thought about something, I wrote something, I napped and dreamt something too, and with all that something, I still have nothing because so much of sum'things has always been and always will be you. I miss you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey. I just spent like five minutes googling variations on the words I remembered from the "Who has never killed an hour?" quote because I wanted to read it and i'm loaning my copy of House of Leaves out to a friend right now. Your blog is the only place I could find the quote. Thanks. And yes, it is a fantastic book.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home