Que Sarah, Sarah

Monday, March 24, 2008

The Love Of Sports Parties It Up!

http://theloveofsports.com/index.php/site/comments/the_love_of_sports_at_the_espn_super_bowl_party/


By Sarah Spain
Love of Sports Correspondent

Friday night, after a six and a half hour drive on our RV, affectionately dubbed "The Hoss," I was ready to stretch out my legs and flex my tolerance.

I met up with a friend and headed to the ESPN The Magazine party at the Scottsdale Civic Center. When I arrived, Ludacris and Ciara were laying down beats and rhymes to a full house, most of whom were packed into a tented area with a huge center bar. Up a small grassy hill were several cabanas, each with its own bar and a pack of people mingling and networking.

The scene was very employee-heavy — lots of ESPN talent, producers and writers. I got the chance to talk blogs vs. the printed word with Rick Reilly, L.A. bars and live music joints with Bill Simmons and Frank-Caliendo-doing-Jim-Rome with Rome Is Burning producer Michael Mandt.

I scoped out the dance floor with FOX Sports' Andrew Siciiiano, chatted fantasy with The Talented Mr. Roto, Matthew Berry, and got the scoop on being a rookie in the league from Titans' first-year safety Michael Griffin.

I even got the chance to meet one of the new American Gladiators, Wolf, who said he got his name from making the ladies "hooooowl."

The booze was flowing, the music was pumping and no one wanted to head home when the party finally shut down. So, a short drive later, I found myself at a hotel bar "after hours" with a motley crue of Simmons, Kyle Brandt (of Real World and Days Of Our Lives fame) and John Walsh, ESPN pioneer.

Then, just as the bar was kicking everyone out, in strolled Michael Irvin for a last-minute cameo. Just another fourth quarter score for The Playmaker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home